You’ve been at your job a while now. Although your boss treats you fine, you’re not connected with your co-workers and you’re feeling stale. You’re not exactly miserable, but you can’t shake the nagging feeling that you need a change of scenery.
Sometimes it’s perfectly clear that you need to move on; other times, it’s not. You don’t want to be handing in your notice just because you’ve had a few bad weeks, but if you’ve become chronically unhappy at work, it might be time to pull the trigger on a new job search.
Consider these eight signs as valid indicators that a change is in order:
- You hate going to work: Do you get depressed at bedtime because you dread going into work the next day? If that’s the case most nights, it’s time to say goodbye to a toxic job.
- You are in a negative work environment: Do your coworkers constantly complain, and is your boss always unhappy? Then there isn’t much chance you’ll ever be content there.
- Your job is taking a toll on your health: Are you using more sick days lately? Do you self-medicate with alcohol or drugs after a bad day at work? No job is worth sacrificing your health.
- There’s little or no chance for promotions: If there are no opportunities for growth at your current job, start looking elsewhere.
- You spend a lot of time complaining about your job: If most of your conversations revolve around complaining about your job or the company, find a job that will produce positive discussions.
- You’ve become a procrastinator: If you’re not finding engagement or enjoyment at work, you will delay getting started on day-to-day tasks. Take this as a sign that it’s time to leave.
- You don’t fit into the company culture: If you desire a flexible work schedule but are stuck in a 7:00 to 3:30 workday, there is only one solution — find a job that offers flexibility.
- You’re over-qualified: You might have taken this job at a time when you needed something to pay the bills. If you are now overqualified, look for something that matches your skillset.
Ready to move on to a more suitable job?
Let us help you. Get in touch with HCR Personnel Solutions, a leading manufacturing recruitment agency in Canada that recruits top professionals for exceptional career opportunities.